Texas State University System Administration Concealed Handgun Policy
1. Policy Statement. The Texas State University System is committed to providing a safe environment for its Regents, employees and visitors to the System Administration Office while respecting the rights of individuals licensed to carry concealed handguns where permitted by law. The term System Administration shall mean the premises located at 601 Colorado Street, Austin, Texas 78701.
2. Purpose. The purpose of this policy is to establish guidelines on possession of concealed handguns in the System Administration that conform with state and federal laws. This policy does not apply to commissioned peace officers as defined in Texas Code of Criminal Procedure 2.12.
3. Right to Carry and Exceptions. A concealed handgun license holder may carry a concealed handgun while in the System Administration except as follows:
3.1 In the specific room or rooms used for and during any regular or special called meetings, or gatherings of the Board of Regents or its committees; (Texas Government Code 411.2031(d – 1)).
3.2 In the specific room or rooms used for and during any disciplinary proceedings (Texas Government Code 411.2031(d – 1)).
3.3 In any room or rooms designated by the Chancellor, as necessary, for safety concerns to System Administration Regents, employees and visitors. (Texas Government Code 411.2031(d – 1)).
4. Notice. Signage and/or notice prohibiting the carry of concealed handguns shall be clearly and conspicuously displayed for any area used for the purposes stated in in this section. (Texas Government Code 411.2031(d – 1)).
5. Open Carry Prohibited. All persons, including license holders, are prohibited from openly carrying a handgun in the System Administration.
6. Display of Concealed Handgun. A license holder may not carry a partially or fully visible handgun, holstered or otherwise, or intentionally display a handgun in plain view of another person while in the System Administration.
7. Display of License. A license holder must carry his or her Concealed Handgun License as required by law and display said license to law enforcement officials upon request (Texas Government Code 411.205). License holders are not required to disclose their status as a concealed handgun licensee in order to participate in any program or service offered by the System Administration office, except as required by law.
8. Responsibility for Storage of Firearms. It is the responsibility of the license holders to properly store their concealed handguns (Texas Government Code 411.188 (b) (4)). The System Administration does not provide gun storage for concealed handguns or other firearms.
9. Other Firearms and Weapons. Firearms and weapons, other than concealed handguns, are prohibited. (Chapter VII, paragraph 4.6 of System Rules and Regulations).